I have been working on the finishing for The Mango Hunters and it has taken a little longer than expected. I was inspired by a couple of posts by Tommye Scanlin on her blog,
http://www.tapestry13.blogspot.com/2012/09/life-after-retreat.html and on her tapestry share blog http://tapestryshare.blogspot.com/2011/11/mountingfinishing-method-for-small.html?m=1
I did a few things differently but a very similar process.
First I ordered some heavy duty canvas stretcher bars, a cross beam and corner braces from Rex Art. I was very happy with the quality and they could special order to the size I needed. After the frame was built I layered some linen with a very thin cotton batting and stretched it over the frame. I used a staple gun to secure the fabric to the back of the stretcher bars with extra care to neatly fold the corners on the outside. The bars are about 1.5 inches thick.
I wanted to make sure those corners stayed in place so I stitched them together with a blind stitch and matching thread.
Then I turned under the hems and stitched them lightly in place after trimming the warp ends.
I laid the tapestry out on a blocking board and covered it with a press cloth and hovered over it with a steam iron. I didn't actually touch the iron onto the tapestry but the steam did help to relax the surface.
I stitched the tapestry close to the edge of the linen covered frame. I noticed that Tommye left a larger margin and I like that so will try it next time.
I used a curved needle and strong buttonhole thread for the stitching. The ends with the hems were quite a challenge to stitch! I tried to hide the stitches by using a matching thread and hiding them in the rows of weaving.
Here is another shot of the edge as I am stitching with a stitch shown before pulling the thread through.
When I was finished stitching I propped it up against the wall on top of the pressing board for a quick photo.
The linen edge doesn't show much in front but will on the sides when it is hung.
This process has taken a little more than a week.
A new box of goodies has arrived in the mail. I have several Slim bobs ( as pictured in the bowl with the yarns), Mini bobs ( pictured between the awls and keepers below) and three new awls with keepers. The awl on the far right is a new "Smawl" shown with a keeper. It is designed on the same scale as the mini bob. Let me know if you need any of these or some new Ymmyarns.
Happy weaving to you!